Unfortunately, asthma is a life long chronic illness; however, you can less the amount and severity of attacks you suffer with natural asthma remedies. This does not mean that you should throw away your inhaler or puffer if you have or use one, but these remedies can reduce your dependency on these devices by a substantial amount.
A short explanation of asthma is that it is the contract of your bronchial airways. When you suffer an asthma attack, your airways constrict and you are suddenly short of breath, causing you to cough and to gasp for air. Sometimes asthma can be triggered by allergies, other times the causes are much more obvious.
Some natural asthma remedies are prevention of attacks, where possible. Some ways to do this are:
1. Avoid smoke or smoke filled rooms. If you smoke, you should quit because it can irritate your bronchial passes and bring on severe asthma attacks;
2. Use antacid before going to bed. Sometimes asthma is triggered by acid reflux and an antacid can prevent this.
3. Be careful of what you eat, because eating the wrong foods can trigger asthma attacks. Some of the foods that can cause these attacks include milk, eggs, nuts and seafood.
4. Reduce your salt consumption as much as possible.
5. Watch your exposure to and be aware of food additives. Certain food additives can trigger an attack.
6. Ensure that you use your inhaler correctly, because using it incorrectly will have no effect on your asthma attack. If you use an inhaler, get your pharmacist to show you the proper way to use this device to get the best relief.
Aside from these important tips, there are many more natural asthma remedies that are very effective in reducing the sheer number of attacks that you suffer.